The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, November 9, 2012

How to Make Coasters from Scrap Fabric

DIY Homemade Coasters from Scrap Fabric

DIY Coasters Using Scrap Fabric


Do you have little bits and pieces of leftover fabric that you feel guilty throwing away?  I always do, and recently discovered this nifty trick for using up some strips of fabric.  In this case I used some sari material I found ages ago.   

These are really quite easy, and you can use almost any material (here I've use chiffon, but I've also done it with bits of velvet, too).

I think a matching set of these would make a great, simple, sustainable Christmas gift!!



You could even use leftover fabric from these DIY Cloth Napkins from Scrap Fabric and make a fantastic set of matching napkins and coasters!

In Vancouver, BC, there is a huge East Indian community, and they have the most fabulous fabric shops that are downright dangerous for anyone who hoards fabric like I do! Much to my hubby's woe, I literally have cupboards full of sari fabric, both from the sari shops, and culled from second hand stores ;)   

But what's a non-Indian girl to do with so much sari material?!  I dunno, I'm still sorting it out, but I'll let you know when I figure it out!!

I got the idea for making these coasters after discovering this great video tutorial for making bowls on the Crafty Gemini.  Instead of making the bowl (which is also a great idea!), I stopped before I began to build up the sides of the walls, and made them into coasters instead!


So in the spirit of my new Waste Not Want Not Wednesday link-up, where I encourage people to share their thrifty ideas and recipes, away we go...!


Materials:

* Cord such as clothing line cord - in this case I used some cord I found on sale at a craft store.  You must be able to sew through it. 
The length you need will depend on how large you want your coasters to be, and the thickness of your fabric. 

* Thread, either in a matching or contrasting colour

* Fabric, amount to be determined by the size of your coaster.  In this case, I used about 108" worth of fabric scraps

* A sewing machine and scissors

Directions: 

1. Cut your fabric into strips, about 1.5" wide, length is determined by your fabric scraps


2. Position your cord about 3/4 of the way up the width of the fabric, about 1/2" from the edge of the left side


3. Fold the left edge over the cord


4. Fold the top down over the first fold and pin in place, pinning through the cord


5. Wrap the right side over the left, enclosing the first two folds


6. Continue wrapping from right over to the left.  Avoid the the temptation to simply twist the cord!!  It will only come undone the moment you let it go!

See, take the fabric from the right side: 


And wrap it over top to the left.  Then wrap it under and back to the right.  I continue to fold the top of the strips over in order to get a nice, clean edge.  If you prefer a more rustic look and want to let your threads hang out, don't bother with folding the top over. 


7. Use a pin or a binder clip to hold your fabric in place after you've wrapped a ways down the cord.  Then, tuck the end of your wrapped cord around into a tight little circle and secure with a pin


8. This will take some finagling now, but using a zigzag stitch begin to sew the centre of your coaster.  You may need to use a pin to push your small centre around a bit to move it under the needle.  Don't worry, this will get much easier as soon as your coaster gets larger.  Keep turning your coaster in a circle as you go, making sure that the zigzag stitches catch the cord on both sides of the wrap


 9.  When necessary, add more strips of fabric.  To do this, first pin strip to the end of the strip on the cord


Then fold the top over again and pin (if you are folding for a clean edge.  Otherwise skip this step)


Then continue wrapping as usual, removing the pin when it comes close the machine.  This will create a tiny bit of bulk, but it won't really be noticeable in the end.  

 Keep wrapping until you reach the desired size.  To finish it off, snip the cord about 1/2" shorter than the fabric strip.  Wrap the fabric strip around the cord, then tuck neatly under the bottom of the coaster and pin.  Continue sewing until the end, then backstitch a little to secure the stitching. 


 And voila!  Admire your coaster and have a cup of tea to celebrate.  



How do you use your fabric scraps?



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great tutorial. I have always wanted to make a rag rug, and this looks like a nice tiny version to try first! I’m so glad you linked this up at One Creative Weekend! I love it! Hope your week is fantastic. (I linked up to your party, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi,

      I actually have a rug in process right now, so I totally agree!! I'll share the results as soon as it's done. Thanks so much for hosting One Creative Weekend, and for linking up my party! Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this is GORGEOUS! I know the shops you mean, too! I'm saving this tutorial as I really want to make some of these. Christmas gifts would be great. Thanks for this. :)

    Natalia
    http://preputilityvehicle.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it helpful! I've made a resolution to make it through some of my mounds of fabric (and told myself I'm not buying anymore until I can clear a cupboard!) so I'm planning some more stashbuster projects. Expect to see saris and satin galore in the next few weeks ;p

      Delete
  3. This is cool! Something I'm seeing for the first time.
    This is going to my pinterest. :)

    I would love it if you share this on the link party on my blog http://believeninspire.wordpress.com.

    Javeriya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Danielle. I'll be featuring you later today at OneCreativeMommy.com. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I hope to see you back on Friday for One Creative Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm giving handmade Christmas gifts this year & have been searching for household crafts to make. This particular DIY Homemade Coasters from Scrap Fabric pattern seems to be fairly simple to do but it looks to require a bit of patience to complete. I'll let you know how they turn out after Im done. Cant wait to get started! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie, it does take a bit of patience as it's a bit fiddly until you get the hang of it, then it's quite simple - I usually wrap the cords while I'm watching tv ;) Good luck and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...