The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Easy, Versatile Gluten Free Soy Free Stir Fry Recipe

Free of gluten, soy, nuts and dairy

Gluten and Soy Free Asparagus and Shrimp Stir Fry
This soy and gluten free stir fry is my go-to dinner on nights when I don't feel like spending time in the kitchen, or when I'm in a rush. It takes 20 minutes from start to finish.

The bonus is that it's one of our favorite dinners, not only because it tastes great, but because it's fast and there are so few dishes to clean afterwards! Also, it's super versatile so I can use whatever veggies, shrimp or chicken that happen to be kicking around in the fridge



It's been a super long week so I apologize if I'm a bit discombobulated! In the past week I've slept in 4 different beds, as I left my apartment in Wisconsin to fly to Winnipeg, Manitoba to visit my grandmother in the hospital, then on to Vancouver, BC to see my mom and then to North Burnaby to see my husband's family. 

I'm also still processing info from Saturday's March Against Monsanto in Vancouver (I will post on this in the next couple of days, as I have a ton of video footage and photos to sort through).

So I haven't been very creative this week, and I thought I'd share my super easy Asian stir fry recipe. If you like this one, you might also want to try my super easy Asian-Style Soup recipe.

I used asparagus that is currently available in season at the Dane County Farmers Market, but you can really use just about any veggies you like!



Ingredients: (serves 2)

1 cup short grain white rice
1 egg, scrambled (optional)
1" piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb asparagus, chopped in diagonal slices
1/4 c peas*
1 carrot, peeled and chopped in diagonal slices*

A handful of pre-cooked prawns, or cooked chicken bits (optional, but a good way to use up leftover chicken)
Coconut or olive oil for frying



For the Sauce:

2Tbsp coconut aminos (coconut aminos are a gluten and soy free alternative to soy sauce. If you are ok with soy, you can also use Bragg aminos or Tamari, which are both gluten free and cheaper than coconut aminos, but made with soy)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar (available in the Asian section of most supermarkets)


Directions:

1. In a medium pot, rinse and drain the rice several times, until the water runs clear. Drain, then add 1.5 cups water to the rice and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

2. While rice is simmering, prepare the rest of the ingredients. During this time the egg can be scrambled, the ginger and garlic minced, and the veggies chopped. 

3. In a wok or large skillet, heat approximately 1/2 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Pour in scrambled egg and fry on one side like an omelette for 3-4 minutes, flip and fry another minute or two, until cooked.  Remove from heat, roll into a tube and set aside.

4. In the same skillet, add more oil if needed, and saute garlic and ginger for one minute to release flavour and scent.  Add the asparagus, peas and carrots and saute for 5 minutes, until carrots are softened.

5. In the meantime, slice the egg tube into thin strips. This will result in funky wavy egg slices.

6. Add the egg, shrimp and/or chicken, along with the coconut aminos and rice vinegar. Saute for 2-3 minutes to heat thoroughly.  Remove from heat and serve over rice. 

What's YOUR go-to dinner?

*Oral allergy syndrome info: peas and carrots are on the OAS chart, but the process of cooking them is considered to kill the allergen proteins, making them safer for most people to eat. If you are prone to allergic reactions to peas and carrots, you may want to cook them even longer than the time given here.





Have you checked out my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :)  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU




This post was shared on the following great link parties: Waste Not Want Not WednesdayMusings of a Housewife, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Natural Living Monday, Monday Mania on Pinterest, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Fabulously Frugal Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Gluten Free Fridays, From the Farm Blog Hop,      

9 comments:

  1. I did not know there was a substitute for soy. I need to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Lemon,

      yes, coconut aminos can be used instead of soy. It's more expensive and the flavour is not an exact match (not nearly as salty), but it's definitely not a bad sub if you can't have soy :) You should be able to find it in the health food section of your market, or online.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, sounds good! We recently went gluten-free, so I am looking for good recipes. I am glad I found your site! I haven't ever put asparagus in stir-fry, but it seems like it would be a great addition. I will have to try it!

    Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good. I’d love it if you would bring this over to my Saturday Spotlight party to share. http://angelshomestead.com/saturday-spotlight-19/ Hope to see you there!

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a light and healthy stir-fry, and so easy to put together. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color in this!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this stir fry recipe. I've been trying to look for good recipes and so far this is one of my choice. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...