The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Scrap Stew Two: Apple Cinnamon Cabbage Stew

Free of corn, gluten, eggs, nuts, soy, dairy, Vegan friendly option


I hope everyone had a wonderful and allergy-free Halloween!! Hubby and I had stayed in on Thursday night and had a scary movie and martini marathon. I concocted a chocolate basil martini that was pretty awesome, and as a result have decided to brew basil infused vodka to experiment with more.

So in keeping with the borderline fall weather and my frugal inclinations, I'm featuring another scrap veggie stew this week. Last week I shared my Cannelini Bean & Swiss Chard Stem Stew, made from fridge scraps, and this Apple Cinnamon Stew / Soup is made along the same veins, but this time was based around two slightly wrinkled organic apples I found in the back of the fridge!

Apples in stew = crazy, right? But I'm allergic to raw apples, thanks to Oral Allergy Syndrome, and I couldn't let those expensive organic apples go to waste (hubby bought them to make himself smoothies but then forgot about them). It turned out great, and I will definitely make it again.  The apples lend a touch of unexpected sweetness and this one-pot dinner makes for a great way to clean out the fridge and make a healthy, frugal meal.


Naturally this recipe is flexible and will vary based on what you find in your fridge, and you can eliminate the chicken for a vegan option.

I use 6oz of chicken for this because I buy 20oz packages of chicken thighs, divide them in 3s and wrap in waxed paper and freeze them. We don't use much chicken (just a little to add flavour) so one $5 package can be used for 3 dinners. Feel free to add more if you like, though.

Also, I keep an old yogurt container on the counter when I'm cooking and throw my carrot and apple peelings, along with onion and garlic skins into it. I freeze the container until I'm ready to make Chicken Noodle Soup & Broth, so this recipe saves $$ in a few different ways.


Ingredients (serves 3-4):

6oz chicken thighs, chopped into approximately 1" chunks (optional)
1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
1/4 red onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves

1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage*
2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into*
1/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
4 c veggie or Chicken stock/broth
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cinnamon stick
Chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)*


Directions:

1. Skip this step if going for the Vegan option. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add chicken and cook 7-10 minutes, until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from pot.

2. Add more oil to the pot if needed, add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add all remaining ingredients, including the chicken. Bring heat up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 15-20, until quinoa is soft. Serve with chopped parsley if desired.

There you go, it's that easy!


How are you using up your kitchen scraps this week?

* Many people with oral allergy syndrome commonly react to raw apples, carrots, and parsley. However, the long cooking time here should reduce the allergen proteins in the foods, making them safer for most people to eat. If in doubt, check with your doctor or skip them and substitute with something else.


This post was shared on the following great link parties: Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Musings of a Housewife,Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Healing with Food Friday, Fight Back Fridays, Whole Food Fridays

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a "scrap" stew and this sounds really amazing. Can't wait to give it a try. I actually have some leftover cabbage and cooked chicken, this will be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you try it! I found it rather comforting, especially now that the clock has gone back and it's always dark at dinnertime ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am really loving the idea of using apples in stew! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! The apples give it a nice light, sweet-but-not-too-sweet flavour :)

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of a favorite at our house, chicken cider stew with chicken cooked in cider and then sweet potatoes, carrots, and apples and onions added in.
    Thanks for sharing at Healing With Food Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken cooked in cider sounds amazing! I might have to try that next time :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...