The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, March 13, 2015

10 Gluten Free Cooked / Baked Pear Recipes


Since I'm allergic to fresh pears but can have them cooked, I like to use baked, boiled, or canned (in their own juices, NOT corn syrup or sugar) pears for a variety of things.

So I decided to throw together a roundup of recipes that involve cooked pears. Some are chilled, some are served warm. Some are very, very simple and cheap, while others are much more gourmet.

Pears are naturally sweet so I rarely find sugar necessary!




Also, if you're wondering why I'm allergic to pears, you can check out my Oral Allergy Syndrome page and my book Living with Oral Allergy Syndrome. I'm allergic to birch pollen, and birch pollen cross-reacts with pears (and several other fruits and vegetables). So when I eat raw pears my lips, tongue, and mouth get itchy and if I peel a lot of them my fingers get tingly. Some people have it far worse than I do, though, and get hives, abdominal upset, or even anaphylaxis (although this is rare for pears).

However, various studies have shown that the heating process involved in canning, cooking, or baking some fruits and vegetables can destroy many of the allergen proteins and make foods safer for people with fresh fruit and vegetable allergies. So while I can't always enjoy a bite of a fresh, juicy pear, I can safely have them in a variety of other ways.

And there are several ways to enjoy baked and cooked pears!! Here are just a few of them:


Poached Pears in Red Wine
No recipe - just take a bottle of decent red wine and add a cinnamon stick, a heaping spoonful of brown sugar, and 6 peeled, but whole, pears. Make sure the wine covers the pears in a medium-sized saucepan and poach about 20 - 10 minutes, until soft. 

Remove pears, boil liquid until syrupy, and serve pears with wine syrup overtop.

Baked Pears
Again, no recipe but very easy. Peel, halve, and core 3-4 pears. Place cut side up in an 8x8" inch baking dish. Pour about 1/3 -1/2 cup apple juice over the pears. Spoon 2-3 Tbsp butter (or dairy-free butter) over top and bake 30-35 minutes at 400F, basting occasionally.

(that's the picture on the bottom centre in the above graphic)

(the picture on the bottome left in the above graphic)




(if you don’t have a pre-made flour mix, try my GF Pie Crust recipe)


(the bottom right pic in the above graphic)


The top centre pic in the above graphic is a recipe for Chilled Pear Soup from my book,

Living with Oral Allergy Syndrome: A Gluten and Meat-Free Cookbook for Wheat, Soy, Nut, Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Allergies

 That chilled pear soup is divine, and if you're interested here are the details on getting yourself a copy of that book today and find dozens of other ways to enjoy cooked fruit and veggies! 




 Get it in print from:


or ask at your local bookstore to order it for you!









This post was shared on the following great link parties:  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle,
    Who can resist 10 recipes featuring sweet, sugary pears! Thank you for sharing these healthy and delicious Gluten Free Cooked / Baked Pear Recipes recipe with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! I’m pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...