The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Gluten Free Watermelon Rind and Apple Pie (with a vegan option) +MeatlessMonday

Free of gluten, eggs, nuts, corn, with vegan option



So last year I posted a recipe for Watermelon Rind Soup, and someone commented that they used watermelon rind to make pie. That sounded like a fantastic idea and I knew I'd have to give it a try when I got a chance. Well it's watermelon season again and I tried it!

And the verdict is that pie is a very, very good way to make use of watermelon rinds. It's super frugal and watermelon rinds are actually good for you (see the above recipe for rind soup for more info), so you can totally justify eating pie for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm allergic to a lot of raw fruits and veggies, and I can't really have raw melons. I can, however, have them cooked. When raw they make my mouth itch, and my skin itches when I handle them, so I usually have to use gloves for this.

There are various recipes for using watermelon rind. Some include cooking it down with sugar and adding nuts and raisins. Others include just mixing it with sugar and baking the crust and filling together.

I simplified my recipe and, since I only had a small watermelon, I mixed the rind with some diced apples. This way the watermelon imparted a delicate flavour, but wasn't overwhelmingly watermelon-y. I didn't pre-cook the filling, and as a result the rind was a bit crunchy. I didn't mind that, but if you prefer it softer you can cooked the filling for about 10 minutes in a pot on medium heat.




Bits of pink from the watermelon


I made one batch of pie crust and used the scraps to make a lattice top









Ingredients for Gluten Free Watermelon Rind and Apple Pie - makes 1 9" pie


1 batch Gluten Free Pie Dough - use vegan butter or chilled coconut oil if desired

For Filling

3 cups of chopped watermelon rind (waxy, green outside removed and discarded)
3 cups of chopped apples
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp rice flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Optional: 1 Tbsp melted butter (vegan if desired) or coconut oil.


Instructions

Preheat oven to 400F.

1. Make pie dough, wrap in waxed paper and chill at least 10 minutes. Roll out between two sheets of waxed paper and fit into a 9" pie dish. Cut to size. Set aside remaining dough and keep wrapped and chilled.

2. Mix together filling and arrange in pie crust. Alternatively, cook filling in a pot over medium heat for 10 minutes to soften.

3. Roll out remaining crust and slice into 3/4" strips (or use a cookie cutter for fun shapes!). Arrange over pie. Brush with butter or coconut oil.

4. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 330F and cook another 25 minutes. Remove and cool 10 minutes before serving.




Looking for more cooked watermelon recipes?








Have you seen my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :)  


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU



This post was shared on the following great link parties:  Meatless Monday on the Fit Foodie Mama, Meatless Monday on Tina Muir, Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party, Hearth and Soul, Allergy Free Wednesday,

12 comments:

  1. Hey lady! Nice to meet you, I am so glad you have joined us, and I hope you will in future, especially with recipes like this, how unique I love it! Thanks for joining deborah and I. Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow creative! Thanks for linking up with us for MM. Hope you will check out some of the other recipes in the link up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Deborah, I'm making the rounds of the linky tonight :)

      Delete
  3. I never knew that you could make anything with watermelon rind! this looks awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious looking dish! Love the idea of using watermelon rind, I've never tried that before! Thanks so much for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Annmarie, and yeah, surprisingly watermelon rinds are pretty versatile!

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely going to have to try this. I've tried pickling the rinds and my kids aren't too fond of that. Maybe pie will go over better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to use all of the watermelon! Your Watermelon Rind and Apple Pie looks delicious, Danielle. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dessert looks so amazing. I can't wait to make your yummy vegan version of the Gluten Free Watermelon Rind and Apple Pie and enjoy it friends and family. Thanks for sharing it with us on the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...